Friday, March 2, 2012

Have Survived...so far.

First of all, I successfully stayed awake during Thursday's essay (albeit crashing an hour before class and being jittery while writing) and even think I did pretty well. Okay. Passable. Certainly well enough to not sink my grade for the semester (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease). 

For anyone who actually reads this and hasn't figured it out yet, I am a current (though temporary) resident of good ol' Tuscaloosa, Alabama. Which has been pummeled by weather warnings all day today. Joy! I was here during April 27th, and I (like most of the town) have not quite gotten over the horror of that. So anytime potential tornadoes appear on the horizon people tend to get concerned. As in, long lines at the gas stations, grocery stores, etc. The same reaction that Northern Virginia residents have right after forecasts are announced of half an inch of snow, if you happen to be from that part of the country. I just think no one wants to get caught with their pants down again.

Maybe I'll eventually tell that story on here. In any case, I have made it through today's weather threat (I say that like it's a personal accomplishment that the tornado didn't decide to touch down here, because HAI I CONTROL THE WEATHER) with a minimal amount of panicking and/or carrying on. Although I did load up most of my clothes into my car in case some necessary fleeing went on. Which: Must! Save! Lilly! Pulitzer! Dresses! You guys, they're an investment.

This isn't to say I don't take the weather seriously. I do. I take it very seriously, because I've seen the kind of destruction tornadoes can cause and I am not interested in being a part of that again. 
So without further ado, because I just decided to do this, here is my personal tornado approved packing list (in no particular order):

Essentials:
1. Red Cross approved weather radio. I feel safer with it, no matter where I am. I can listen to AM and FM stations, charge my phone, and use it as a flashlight. And who doesn't love multi-tasking?

2. Pack o' water. For the car, or your bathroom-on-the-lowest-floor, or whatever. Because non-potable water is a damn nightmare. Trust me on this.

3. Rain gear. Boots, slicker, whatever you have on hand. Tornadoes tend to equal thunderstorms, and when you're trying to get to safety or whatever, you want to have sturdy boots and stuff to get you there. Plus, as our dear friend James Spann mentioned this evening, a boot with a thick sole protects your feet from debris when you're walking around after the disaster. 

4. Canned goods. Matt usually takes care of this one for me, but either go and buy some or keep some on hand. Food disappears quick after a disaster.

5. Gas. In your car. Brave the lines, suck it up, you don't want to be trying to find some after a tornado hits. Freedom of movement was what got me through April 27th- because you always need options, right? Make sure your car is always an option.*

6. Any and all medications that you're on. This is very important, for obvious reasons.

7. And important papers. License, passport, insurance information, social security cards, things of that nature. Because when you need to replace your house/car/lost property, probably you don't also want to have to replace your social security card. Or something. I hear it's a pain.

Of course if you're me, you also bring about 2 weeks worth of outfits, anything with sentimental value, anything that I spent good money on that was either exceptionally expensive or something I just love, and other general nonsense that no one else would worry about in a disaster, Chelsey. Which: I know.

Disclaimer: this clearly is not a definitive guide to stuff-to-pack, so if you're searching for that and all you found was this, probably you should check out the Red Cross' website. Or something comparable. Because I do not want to be responsible for someone elses' lack of preparedness. People, I can barely keep myself together during these storms.

*But y'all. Only as long as you know you're not either a.) driving into a storm or b.) preventing emergency workers from helping people. Because no one wants to be that guy.

Anyway.

Shout out to our wonderful weatherman, James Spann. People in Alabama worship James Spann like people in DC worship politicians. He's like a celebrity. He is a celebrity because I guarantee that when he's in public he gets asked for his autograph. At least, I would be really surprised if that wasn't the case. If you live here, you know. Actually he's better than a celebrity because he can keep you alive. Most celebs can't claim that.

He shows up on the ABC 33/40 weather center whenever storms seem to be on the horizon. When the sport coat comes off and the suspenders come out, you know it's going down. He is a legend. He can stay on the air for hours at a time, simultaneously offering weather information while informing you about the safest place to be in an emergency. Everyone loves James Spann. You can check him out on facebook here.

Anyway, everyone. On a serious note, a lot of towns and people got hurt today, and the threat is not even over. If you can donate, if you can help, if you can even just spread the word, please do so. Rebuilding what a tornado took in the span of a few minutes can take months, even years. It can be done, but not without extensive support.

Oh, and happy March!

No comments:

Post a Comment